Are You Sexually Addicted?
Some examples of behaviors that can mean you are a sexually addicted person:
- Do you ever feel bad (guilt, shame) about your sexual behavior?
- In your mind do you question or outright find it abnormal to masturbate as often as you do?
- Do you turn to sex when feeling stress?
- Are you regularly seeking pornography?
- Do you think you are spending an excessive amount of time thinking, planning, or going through a ritualized process aimed at sex?
- Has the desire for sex led you to take excessive risks that could be a threat to your well being and that of others?
- Can some of your sex related behavior be a threat to your freedom?
- Do you lie to cover up sexual acts or related behavior?
- Have you tried to cut back on sexual related behavior but not been able to sustain that position?
- Are you willing to chance having unsafe sex with a stranger?
- Are you feeling more and more isolated?
- Do you feel frustrated around friends and/or family when what is expected of you interferes with your desire for sex related activities?
- Are you experiencing losses now because your lifestyle has been found out?
- Do you feel depressed?
- Do you offer little or no genuine intimacy (other than physical) in a relationship?
- Were you sexually abused as a child or adolescent?
Gene Piver, MFT
San Mateo, CA